Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Hello, my name is Sarah, and YES, you read that right. I made laundry detergent.

Why might you ask?  Because I could.  Isn't laundry detergent at the store perfectly acceptable?  Why, yes, it is.  However, when I am stuck at home for what seems like the 997th day in a row, I need a freaking project.  Yes, I could clean out the pantry, or the cabinets, but why should I do that when I can make LAUNDRY DETERGENT?

I had seen several friends pin a link to this blog with a "recipe" for making your own laundry detergent.  I was intrigued, and did a little research.  The "recipe" produces a TON of detergent for under $15 dollars.  My offspring have really sensitive skin, and all of the ingredients were approved for them.  Heck, I will give it a shot.

1 box of Borax
8 boxes of baking soda
4 bars of grated Castile soap


Mix all of these ingredients together, and ta-da!  You have a tremendous amount of powder laundry detergent.
It has worked well in my washing machine, and the husband said, "Our clothes smell cleaner.  Did you do something different."  He then rolled his eyes at my new skill set.    

You can add a few tablespoons of your favorite essential oil to fragrance the detergent.  I was not able to do that with the aforementioned skin issues, but plan to make a separate batch for cleaning towels and bedding.


No comments:

Post a Comment